What is a sophisticated, professional or experienced investor?
Sophisticated, professional or experienced are classifications used to describe investors that are more experienced and able to evaluate investment opportunities without needing a prospectus or other regulated disclosure documents.
You may apply to have your OnMarket investment profiles recognised as either of these investor types. Detailed below are the requirements for each classification as required under Section 708 of the Corporations Act 2001 (Cth.)
- Have gross personal income over the last 2 years of at least $250k; or
- Have net assets of over $2.5m
To show that you are a sophisticated investor you need a Qualified Accountant's Certificate.
- Hold an Australian Financial Services License (AFSL); or
- Have or control gross assets of at least $10m or more
To show that you are a professional investor you need an AFSL number or proof of assets.
An AFSL licensee is satisfied on reasonable grounds as described in Section 708(10) and s761GA of the Corporations Act 2001 (Cth.) that the person to whom the offer is made has previous experience in investing in securities that allows them to assess:
- the merits of the offer
- the value of the securities
- the risks involved in accepting the offer
- their own information needs
- the adequacy of the information given by the person making the offer
Please note, the Company may decide to only offer new shares to investors who are classified as sophisticated or professional, but not offer them to investors who are classified as experienced.
You can apply for one of these investor classifications via the Investment Profiles section of your Dashboard once you're logged in to OnMarket or get in touch with us at email@example.com..